Monday, December 2, 2013

Maybe being a mom isn't so bad.

This week we are learning and discussing the what's, why's and how's of parenting. I figure becoming a parent is a good thing.

I once worked at a T.G.I. Friday's as a hostess. When I worked in the morning, I would turn on the OPEN sign in the window and stand behind my little booth, staring at the empty tables. I listened to the music playing quietly, folding bundles of silverware and waiting for people to come in and eat. I remember that gradually, as people started to fill the empty tables, the restaurant was filled with warmth.

I figured that generally, people are warm. Maybe it's not so much different in a family. More people, more warmth, more love.

It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child. I think of how much I am learning right now, as a 21-year old reaching out for my independence. I am working towards goals, endeavors, using my gifts, and I realize that my learning comes from so many different resources. I am a child being raised by them all! 

I believe that our creator organized human society into families in order to help us develop our ability and capacity to love. In an ideal world, we would love everyone, but we are designed to just start with our families.

I honestly don't blame people who don't want to create families, because we have been born into a society that over time, has shifted its mindset and become distracted from the essence of what families are and what they can be.

I just don't think most people can see past the surface of raising children. When you think of having children and raising a family, what do you think of? Changing diapers, calming a crying baby? The truth is, they are only that small for a short time. You are actually just helping to create a person, a friend. Just like your best friend here and now. You are bringing a soul into your presence to grow in love and to teach and to learn from and experience the things of this world with.

No comments:

Post a Comment